Saturday, March 8, 2014

Examine Your But


The Episcopal Church has a full spectrum of religious views.
In my parish there are those who think Pope Francis is too liberal.  And then there people like me, Whateverists, some of whom, like me, have decided opinions about where the altar should be.  And most people are in the middle.  But we manage to get along, generally.

Sometimes it seems that the biggest debate at coffee hour is whether Hitler had a shot at getting into heaven.
Then there’s the legend of the Bishop who said maybe the Resurrection didn’t happen like it said in the Bible, but also talked about how God spoke to him.  Frankly, I have trouble with both of these statements, but I tell myself that he is entitled to his truths.  Maybe we can talk about in heaven.

This diversity is great, but sometimes we (or at least I) may get confused about how strong our belief are or even what they are.
So Episcopalians, or anyone who would like to clarify his or her views, may be interested in the psychological test or parlor game “I’m __________, but . . .”  First you have to complete the first clause.  “I’m a liberal, but”  “I’m no liberal, but”  “I’m conservative, but”  “I’m old school, but”.  Or “I don’t believe in labels, but. . .”  This may be the easy part.  Most people have a sneaking attachment to their labels.  It gives us a sense of identity and solidarity.  And the anti-label people are even more attached to anti-labelism. 

The interesting part comes after the “but.”  “I’m not High Church, but some smells and bells in the service might fun.”  “I’m no liberal, but why can’t everyone have health insurance?”  “I’m pretty conservative, but the world was created in six twenty-four hour days?  Seriously?”
“I’m sure (Sarah Palin, Bill O’Reilly, the Pope, Hilary Clinton, Jon Stewart, Bill Maher or whoever) isn’t a bad person, but in some things he or she says are just dead wrong.”

What does your “but” tell you about yourself?  What kind of new ideas (new to you, at least) does it stir up?  At the very least it will demonstrate that people, even you, can have seemingly conflicting opinions.  If you think everyone should have health insurance, how should they get it?  What good ideas does the Pope or Jon Stewart have?  You might even want to write about it.  (Feel free to groan here.)
Have fun!  And if anyone has any suggestions on how to lobby for smells and bells, let me know!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment