Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Stroke or What?


I was rushing around trying to get dressed to go to a meeting, but things weren’t going well.  My vision was blurry, and when I looked at the digital clock, the numbers were about an eighth of an inch high.  I went to my closet and reached up to the shelf, where I was pretty sure I’d put the papers I needed for the meeting, wondering if I really had, when I started seeing flashing colored lights.  Then I felt myself fall over and hit the floor.  I thought, “Did I just have a stroke or what?”  Then I woke up.
Sorry about that.  Frankly, I don’t care for movies or stories that turn out to be dreams, but I have a reason for bringing it up.  (I know I should have started a new paragraph, but I didn’t want to spoil the drama.)

My first thought when I woke up was that I could see and how bright everything looked.  This wasn’t too surprising, since it is our first sunny day in almost a week.  (I think it’s been week.  I’ve kind of lost track.)  My second thought was, “Well, I guess I had a dream about having a stroke.”  My third thought was, “Could God have sent me a dream about being zapped by the Holy Spirit?”  And then I thought, “Did I get zapped by the Holy Spirit in a dream?”
I haven’t figured it out yet.  I’d prefer to think that it was the Holy Spirit.  (I’ve been disappointed that I got saved so gradually.  You can read about that in “How I Got Saved”, July 28, 2013.) And, not to seem ungrateful, but I’d like to have experience when I’m awake.

Some, probably most, people I know, would say that thinking God had sent me a dream about the Holy Spirit is crazy and thinking that the Holy Spirit visited me in a dream is batship crazy.  Not too long ago, I thought the whole concept of the Holy Spirit was pretty crazy.  But frankly, folks, I don’t give a bat’s behind.
I don’t know if I’m ever going to understand what actually happened.  I’ve prayed for an explanation.  What I’ve gotten so far is the knowledge that an explanation isn’t important; it’s what I do with the experience.  So I’m sharing it and expecting that whatever the purpose is, it will be worked out.

And I am full of crazy gratitude for it.

PS:  If I remember correctly, the meeting I was supposed to go to was about health insurance and I was supposed to speak about it.  Trust me, no one would ever ask me to speak about health insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment