Sunday, February 16, 2014

Among the Top Ten of Trivial Spiritual Concerns


I’m not that serious about this.  (I think.)
A post of Facebook featured a picture of a bench in a beautiful garden with the question “Who would you want to sit on the bench with you?”  (They put it more grammatically.)  I answered the way I usually do:  Barbara Pym (my favorite author.  She wrote “novels of manners” during the 1950’s and ‘60’s about life in English country villages or neighborhoods in London.  Try Excellent Women or Some Tame Gazelle to start.) and Agatha Christie.  When I read the comments, almost everyone else at least mentioned Jesus.  So I felt guilty!  I don’t know if there is a message to this, probably not.

Yes, I would like to talk to Jesus.  But it’s OK to think of Barbara or Jane Austen or Elvis or John Lennon first.
No offense to our Lord, but I don’t think he’d be interested in hearing about my romantic misadventures or my writer’s dilemmas.  Not only would I love to hear about Barbara’s, but I think she’d like to hear about mine.  Not that they are that special, but she was a writer, and anything can serve as material.

In the first post I wrote for Woodstock Churchlady, I said that one of my goals was to show a reader that he or she wasn’t the only person in the world to ever feel a certain way.  So I suppose other people would feel the same in the same situation.  But I’m not entirely sure, so if you have, I’d love to hear from you. 
How about you?  Who would you like to have a conversation with?  How do you feel about your first response?

By the way, another sign that you might be an Annoying Believer would be that when someone tells you that their choice of fellow bench sitter is Clark Gable or Abraham Lincoln or Anne Rice, you look horrified and say, “What about Jesus?”  (And add ten annoyance points if you say “our Lord.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment