Monday, July 8, 2013

Do I want to know what I'm missing? Isolationism or Worse


There are times when I feel I have to stay away from The World – not just the showy, materialistic idols we are always cautioned about, but from everyone who doesn’t think like I do.  Which is most of my immediate family and friends.  This does not limit my social life as much as you might think;  I know plenty of Christians to hang out with.
The interesting thing about this is that there is so much my Christian friends and I disagree on (gays, marriage, gay marriage, evolution, where the altar should be), but I am able to see past that, and they are too.  As one friend said, “That’s not a problem because I love you.”  This can go into the ever expanding data base on “What is Christian love?”

But I worry that I’m becoming closed-minded and that this is a bad thing.  I’ve shaken my head at the fact that there are people who have gone from kindergarten through graduate school in Catholic institutions and never had a non-Catholic friend.  I worry that I may be missing out on something or turning into one of those people whose friends start looking for giant (empty) pods in their basements.  I’m probably worrying too much and should just go with it. 

Is staying away from atheists any worse than refusing to try sushi?  (I did once have a bite of tripe in a Chinese restaurant.)

No comments:

Post a Comment