Monday, July 1, 2013

Dead Armadillos in the Via Media

(Via media is Latin for “by the way of the middle” or the middle of the road.  It comes up in fancy Episcopalian bull sessions, maybe after the second glass of wine.)

I love the old Texas saying, “The only things you find in the middle of the road are a yellow stripe and dead armadillos.”  But that’s not Episcopalian!  Depending on your point of view, we either see all sides or are “afraid of commitment.”  We take pride (acknowledging, of course, that we shouldn’t be prideful) in the fact that at any gathering, you can probably find someone who agrees with you and someone who disagrees with you and that the disagreement will not be disagreeable.  (The last part is the ideal, but I like to think it happens more often than not.  And we usually don’t have problems with saying things happen “more often than not.”)
This stance may seem to be the easiest to take, but is it?  While I don’t agree with the Catholic Church’s insistence on rules or with various denominations’ certainty that they know the only way to get to heaven, I sometimes think that such things must make life easier.  I sometimes even wish I could believe such things and have such trust in my spiritual leaders.

I sometimes think it would relaxing to believe “the Pope or the Bible or my pastor says so; I believe it and my job is to obey,” although even those people who do admit that it’s hard.
As I write this, I am waiting to come up with a “but.”  “But, of course, this isn’t good because . . .” And it isn’t.  But sometimes, like right now, I can’t think of a reason why.

So I continue on the middle way, with a fairly strong certainty that it’s best.

What do you think?
 
(Click No Comment to comment)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment