Monday, January 6, 2014

I'm a sucker for beautiful words. So sue me.


Some people don’t like liturgical worship.  They say it is artificial, confining and even boring.  They prefer a more emotional, spontaneous and “honest” service.  And of course there are those folks who are closest to God in the woods or on the golf course or in their own beds, especially on Sunday morning.  That’s fine for them, but not for me.  God is in all those places, but for me He is in church, too.
I didn’t always feel this way, but the service grew on me and in me.  The beautiful words, sometimes spoken by everyone and sometimes by one person take on a power to awe, encourage, and comfort. 

My answer for any problem used to be “See a therapist.”  Now I add, “Stop eating sugar and wheat and go to church and just sit there.”  You can just sit there with no expectations.  Your mind can wander and you don’t even have to pay attention (although it helps). But you may feel different.  Something may be happening.  You don’t have to believe it, but keep going back.  Gradually, the words and the God in them will be in you.
And you will never be the same.

(By the way, I also recommend that you go to Coffee Hour, which overflows with wheat and sugar, but that’s another issue.)

No comments:

Post a Comment