Sunday, December 29, 2013

An Epiphany of a Whateverist

If you consider yourself a liberal (or even just liberal), you probably get some cynical, sophisticated amusement when someone says, “I’m a liberal, but . . .” knowing that something very illiberal and maybe illogical is coming next.  But the first time you hear yourself say it, it’s not so funny.

Regarding religion, I consider myself a “whateverist.”   Believe whatever you want; just don’t attack me for my beliefs and don’t feel I am attacking you if we disagree.  But recently, I have been hearing from Christian friends and reading articles by Christian authors that perhaps the Virgin Birth is a biological impossibility or that the Star of Bethlehem would have been in the sky anyway.  They say that these things aren’t the point of Christmas.
I was surprised, to say the least, at my reaction:  “I’m a religious liberal, but . . .”  The but is that while I may feel they are right, I don’t want to.  When I have doubts, belief in the truth of the Christmas story gives me something to hold on to.  I feel as if I am being personally attacked by people I like and people I don’t even know.  I want to say, “Do you know what you’re doing to me?  Not only are you upsetting me, but you’re putting my faith in jeopardy!  And I’m sure I’m not the only one.  So please keep your opinions to yourself, even if they’re right.”
Finding that I feel this way has not been pleasant (OK, it sucks.), but as Cartman and the boys on South Park say, “I’ve learned a lesson today.”  I understand how creationists (or people who don’t want the altar where I think it should be) can feel when evolutionists or whateverists disagree with them.  And I can’t expect even good friends not to feel that I’m trying to take something – something very important – away from them.
Being a believer is hard.  It takes work.  We need to support each other as much as we can, even if we don’t agree about what really amounts to details.
So even if I can’t always keep my opinions to myself, I will work to be more sympathetic.  We’re all trying to do the best we can.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment