Monday, September 23, 2013

More Woodstock than Churchlady

I hate those posts on Facebook that go on and on about how much better things were in the fifties – how kids just played for fun, or didn’t get on the team if they didn’t measure up, how people my age managed to grow up without having to ride in car seats until we were four, how food packages did not include nutrition information and restaurants did not list calorie counts.  Not only do I disagree with a lot of the opinions, but I think comparing the past to the present is unhealthy, especially if the past always wins.

That being said  . . .
Did you once have a clever (or at least different) message on your voicemail?  What do you have now?  I used to have a haiku (“Loudly the phone rings/Alas, no one can answer/So leave a message.”  Feel free to use it.  It helps if you first say “A Haiku.”)  I also had special Christmas messages.  I had one friend who had the Equal Rights Amendment on her message.  And it was fun (Yes, it was; I don’t care if it was corny.) to record a message with the new love of your life.  Now, I just have, “Hi!  Please leave message.”  Is it just me, or is this boring?

It seems that everyone has become No Nonsense.  Am I the only person who has puppies and kittens on her checks?  (I used to have Hello Kitty, but it embarrassed the family.)  If you have to fork over the money, why not have something cheerful to look at while you’re doing it?
And what happened to all the unicorns?

Is everyone trying to project a serious, businesslike image even in their personal life?  (If I had a business, I would not have pictures on my checks.)  Do we think the world is in such terrible shape that we shouldn’t be thinking of anything that isn’t serious?  Or are we afraid of revealing anything about ourselves?

I realize that as a Christian, I have more important things to share than my sneaking love for Grumpy Cat.  (If you thought you could get through this without any “Jesus stuff”, all I can say is, “Bummer.”  I really can’t apologize for bringing it up.)  Jesus is more important than Hello Kitty.  But they’re fun.  Maybe having a collection of Beany Babies is all part of “Enjoying the Go.”

Fortunately, I now have grandchildren to share my stuffed animals with.  And I am going to say “Merry Christmas and Happy New Year” on my voicemail message this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment