Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Bat Ship Crazy


Actually, I prefer the unexpurgated version, but I am a churchlady.  Anyway, being on a ship full of bats (cute as they are) would drive you crazy.  I guess the fact that I think bats are cute (and misunderstood) makes me seem even crazier.

Not that a lot of people would need that to think I’m crazy.  Does it ever occur you (usually rather suddenly) that a lot of people (maybe even most people), maybe even a lot of people you know (maybe even most of the people you know) find your beliefs, if not you, crazy?  That they are constantly biting their tongues around you?  That they are hoping (though probably not praying) that you will “get over it” or “come to your senses”?
If I am being totally honest, I have to admit that I don’t know how I feel about this.  I like to think that I don’t care because I know I’m right.  But sometimes, it gets me down.  Not so much that people don’t agree with me or understand me, but that it keeps us apart.

And sometimes, it can lead to doubt.  Frankly, this isn’t as much a problem for me as it used to be.  I tell myself that things can’t be explained, so there is no sense to try and no purpose in listening to doubts from myself or other people.  This may make me close- minded or crazy. (I think I’d rather be thought crazy.)  But as bad as we are taught that close-mindedness is, sometimes it’s necessary.  What some people might call close-mindedness may really be faith.
Within the realm of faith, there is plenty of room for open mindedness.  There is room for different interpretations of the Bible and different kinds of worship.  Part of being a Christian is to be accepting of differences.

And doesn’t refusing eternal life (After all, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose.) seem crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment