Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I'm embarrassed to write this, but sometimes you just gotta vent.


Years ago when I worked in a real estate company, if a salesman needed his secretary, he might send another secretary into the ladies’ room to get her.  We would joke (sort of) that we couldn’t even go the bathroom in peace.  (We put it more graphically.)
I thought of this today, as I was in the bathroom enjoying the go and I noticed that the shower curtain really needed cleaning.   A house gives you less peace than a boss.  I went down to the basement to put in a load of wash and saw that the cats had tracked litter all over.  After I cleaned it up, I decided I might as well change the litter.  I used the last litter box liner, so I wrote a note to pick up some more at K-Mart (the only store that has the kind that fit the litter box) and then started thinking of everything else I needed to pick up.

If I go to do one bit of housework, I always find something else that needs to be done. One thing leads to another until my head starts spinning.  If I don’t take care of them, I feel guilty.  If I do, I get behind in my to do list and feel guilty about that.
 Since the children are grown and out of the house, I can’t blame them for any disorder or ask them to take care of it.  (The last is a joke, as I’m sure you know.)  Of course I can always blame my husband, but it’s not worth the effort to bring it up.

By the way, I am not obsessive-compulsive or even a neatnik.  I consider myself laid back.  A neatnik might not put it so gently.
As a Christian (or just as a thinking person) I realize that I am very lucky to have an indoor bathroom with a shower, a washer and drier, two cats, and everything else.  If I need to remind myself, I can always go camping, since I am lucky enough to be able to afford camping gear and a car to get me to the woods.

So I will thank God that I have enough stuff to drive me nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment